Thursday, September 27, 2007

Grandpa's Grape Juice



A fall tradition at Grandma and Grandpa's house is picking grapes and making juice. We all have had the pleasure of tasting the "fruit of the vine" when we go to visit. This year Grandpa (Dad) is recovering from myasthenia gravis and needed help for the mammoth project, that in years past he has done mostly alone. I had no idea the amount of work involved in the process. The picking had to be the hardest step. It took four of us and 13 hours to replace Dad. His home teachers did the lion's share, I only had to pick for 2-1/2 hours to get the juicy ones on the top, how I could have used Dad's long arms to reach across the 5-foot wide arbor. I just kind of sprawled across the top stretching for the beautiful grapes, just beyond reach.



The juicing part was the easiest. Dad was master commander, he sat in his chair and told me step by step what to do. I kept trying to get him to go inside, worried that he might overdo, but he did not miss a bottle.








We all had our duties. Mom unburied and washed the bottles (personally my least favorite task), I washed grapes and ran the steam juicers, and dad unclamped the juice lines and filled the bottles with steaming, hot, 100 % pure juice. It was grand team work. Two 10 hour days and 150 quarts later the job is finished.


One difficulty we ran into was how to move all the bottles downstairs. Dad was not in shape to move them, neither was Mom; my back hurt so bad that one more heavy load would be miserable. With some creative problem solving, Dad came up with a solution. Any one watching would have laughed, but it worked. We decided the garage would be the storage spot. The transporting vehicle, a wheelbarrow and two orange crate boxes. Dad sat on the porch leaning against posts for support and handed the bottles to me. I, kneeling on my knees to avoid bending, loaded bottles into the boxes, pushed the wheelbarrow to the side door, sat on the floor and unloaded the 22-bottles per load. By that time Dad would be resting, lying on the cement; He'd push himself up and we'd start over.
I will forever treasure the opportunity to harvest grapes and spend time learning not only about grapes, but the fortitude of my parents. From now on I will not only savor every drop of grape juice but the memories that go along with it.

1 comment:

Gabrielsen Family said...

I am amazed, also, at the work involved. Rah!