Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Carving

It is a long standing tradition in the Fager Family to carve pumpkins just before Halloween. The hunt for just the right pumpkin is the first step. It has to have a flat face and be able to stand upright without tipping over. Vance found the perfect ones at Sam's club this year.

Next is to select the desired pattern. (We do cheat and use a 1.99 kit.) I am one that usually goes for the easiest patterns. Vance, Ben and David like the moderate to difficult ones. Vance took my easy one so I could take pictures. Besides that, he is MUCH better than I am at carving.

Then the comes the cleaning out of the pumpkin. I must admit this is the least favorite and messy step for all of us. The cleaner and thinner the inside, the easier it is.



Making the dot-to-dot pattern and carving is next. This is the tricky part and it needs a patient and steady hand. It is too much like sewing for me - following a pattern and directions, plus I want it done in 15 minutes. We turned on church music (it was Sunday) and enjoyed the process. The boys completed their masterpieces in about 1 hour and 30 minutes start to finished. I was the cheerleader and cleaner.







The finished product! Vance carved "Boofus" , David "Prowler", and Ben "The Haunted House"

1 comment:

Gabrielsen Family said...

What a fun thing to do and the results are spectacular!